Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Tout moun se moun" [Every person is a person, every life matters]

Over 8.8 million children did not have a chance to make it to their fifth birthday last year - almost all of them in the developing world. Help me break the cycle of poverty that these children are in!



For my 21st Birthday [April 2nd], I am asking that all of my family & friends - yes YOU - to make a donation of just $10 [or what'ever you can afford... even $1.00 can make a difference!] towards Partners In Health - an organization I so deeply believe in and support. [Last year I donated $118 of my own money to PIH] I would not ask you to make a sacrifice that I am not willing to make, and have kick started the donation pool with my own $10. I am specifically supportive of the initiative PIH took in Haiti starting in 1985 to provide health care in one of the World's most impoverished countries by building not only medical facilities, but training and teaching the community how to help one another and prevent disease. After the devastating earthquake in January 2010, PIH has also designed a 3 year plan PIH to help rebuild Haiti.
[for more information on PIH's work in Haiti CLICK HERE]



For the past year and a half I have been advocating for the work that Partners in Health does to provide health care to those most in need in countries such as Haiti, Rwanda & eight other countries around the World. Partners In Health is an organization that focuses on breaking the cycle of poverty and disease in every community and person they serve. The money raised for my Birthday will go towards treating disease like malaria and tuberculosis, building homes for families, assisting farmers in more sustainable farming practices, treating malnutrition in children - and most importantly HELPING OTHERS REACH THEIR OWN BIRTHDAYS AS WELL!
I know most of you are thinking "why not the relief efforts in Japan?" and yes - Japan needs all the help they can get, and please send love and light towards Japan and give what you can to help them recover from their tragedy, but the work Partners In Health does is VERY important and inspiring to me. My only wish for my upcoming Birthday is to show them the love and support they NEED right now too. How can one judge the importance of one devastation over another? There are so many countries, communities, and individuals all over the World who are suffering every day and we must not forget about them either. The WORLD needs to UNITE and help our people, everywhere.

I have 1,510 'friends' on Facebook... and if you all donated $10, that could be $15,100 to help bring global health equity to those in need.... and thatttt is the GREATEST Birthday present I could ever receive! I know times are hard on everyone, we are all trying to cut corners and save money, but any type of donation you can make will help! I know I often forget how blessed and fortunate I am to have the necessities of life, which are not available in many developing countries around the world. We are blessed to be free of disease, have clean drinking water, and available health care - that is SO much more than many people can say. I always say "You and I are just the same," and it is time to unite and help our brothers & sisters of the World. "Everything you give, you will receive." Please help my Birthday wish come true. :]



No comments:

Post a Comment